Subject: Re: [boost] Legal problem with Stackoverflow contribution under the "Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike 3.0" license
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-02-20 08:15:01

On 20/02/2018 07:55, Dominique CHABAUD via Boost wrote:
> Hi Niall,
> Yes, you're right, most of developers are not lawyers. The company I work
> for did a Third Party dependency scan of all our code. It was done by a
> company specialized in code check and the report was analyzed by a lawyer
> office specialized in copyright, licences, IP... They confirmed that this
> Boost contribution could be a problem at a court. Fortunately we do not use
> this contribution directly and our Dev team checked that the link step did
> not include it in our executable files.
> Dominique

Let me repeat: the only reason that my use of SO code snippets was
noticed is because I added a comment linking back to the original. For
all the other uses of SO code snippets which are uncommented, anyone
using Boost is in technical infringement. You just don't know that you are.

And that's fine. All open source comes with the same risk, it's why
historically Legal banned the use of open source because there's nobody
worth suing standing behind its IP hygiene.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting