Subject: [boost] Proposal for a thread synchronisation primitive: future_queue
From: Martin Hierholzer (martin.christoph.hierholzer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-04-24 16:01:17

Dear boost developers,

I want to propose a thread synchronisation primitive, which works like a mixture of (lockfree) queues and futures. Therefore I gave it the name "future_queue". It is basically a lockfree queue which can be waited on for new values (without busy waiting), but it has some nice extra features like when_any() and continuations.

The github project can be found here:
https://github.com/mhier/future_queue

It already contains a README file with a short description, an example and results of a first performance measurement. Further documentation so far exists only inside the code:
https://github.com/mhier/future_queue/blob/master/include/future_queue.hpp

My first question is, whether this is really something new (I might have overlooked something in the many boost libraries) and if it makes sense to integrate it into the boost libraries.

Another question would be whether this should really be its own library, since it is basically a single class (with a few helper classes) and a single non-member function. Maybe it would be better to make it part of an existing library?

I am happy to receive some first feedback!

Cheers,
Martin

--
Martin Hierholzer