Subject: Re: [boost] Fornux C++ Superset
From: Phil Bouchard (philippeb8_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-04-24 21:59:04

On 04/23/2018 08:47 PM, Phil Bouchard via Boost wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Because there was a conflict of interests in the past then I feel
> obliged to give an update regarding the status of the "Fornux C++
> Superset" (formerly "Fornux C Leak Detector"). This way corporations
> will not claim ownership of the idea.
>
> - Fornux C++ Superset harnesses the power of Clang.
> - It now supports, as you have guessed, C++98 syntax.
> - It's deterministic so it will not slow down your application randomly
> like with Java.
> - You can see attached examples memory leaks in C & C++ with cyclic
> references which are correctly handled and the memory usage never
> increases.
>
> Like I mentioned previously, I am working hard on a free version I will
> be able to share in a month or two.

For those who don't know:

1) This tool consists of "static program analysis", which is the way
corporations works nowadays:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_program_analysis

Here is why:
https://hackernoon.com/why-you-should-really-care-about-c-c-static-analysis-db13f4463b2d

2) Memory leaks are one of the most problematic programming errors:
https://cardinalpeak.com/blog/bens-golden-rule-for-preventing-memory-leaks/

According to the following research: "Memory leaks are one of the
primary causes of software aging.":
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/319980827_Detection_of_Memory_Leaks_in_CC_Code_via_Machine_Learning

3) I am not sure about the status of Boost.UI but it could definitely be
used with some complex Javascript-like UI, a complex AI engine or a game
that never consumes memory excessively.

4) Not to mention the development / QA cycle time will be cut by a huge
factor and the overall development time will be speeded up, meaning big
savings for the employer!

Regards,
-Phil