Subject: Re: [boost] A possible date for dropping c++03 support
From: Mike Dev (mike.dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-26 03:07:33

I certainly didn't want to claim otherwise as a lot of libraries already require
c++11 or later. However, I'm talking about dropping c++03 support in libraries
that did support it till now.

Considering the strong internal coupling between older boost libraries,
an individual library can't drop c++03 support without this decision
affecting many, many other boost libraries. And while external users that
can't migrate to c++11 have the option to just stick to an older boost
version, internal users (aka other boost libraries depending on it)
can't do that.
So, let's say the maintainer of Boost.iterator wants to drop c++03 support
and start using c++11 features. That would mean that at least a dozen or so
other libraries that depend on it would suddenly also no longer be c++03
compatible without them having any say in it.
If I were a boost library maintainer I'd certain not want to make the switch
to c++11 under those conditions, even if I'd do it with a standalone library
for which I can just release a new major version. This is, why I think,
such a decision needs to be made by all affected maintainers (or at least
by most of them) together.

Mike