Subject: Re: [boost] Let's stop distributing binaries
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-30 03:14:08

It's going to be too much work to respond individually where some things
came up. So I'm doing a summary reply instead.

1. We already do not distribute binaries. Thanks Tom for clearing that up.

2. You can read Tom's reply regarding the Windows binaries he makes
available.

3. Third parties distribute sources and prebuilt binaries. Those include
Linux, BSD, Android, etc distributions and package managers. It's up to
them to deal with the fallout of the software. Some package managers are
designed to deal correctly with binary compatibility, but again, not our
responsibility.

4. Changing build systems will not solve the perceived distribution
problem. It will just change the details of any problems that deal with
build systems.

5. The repeated discussions of "dropping C++XY support" or dropping
"compiler Foo X.Y support" are not relevant to the distribution of source
as we do.

6. The repeated discussions of modular vs. monolithic release also has no
relation to dropping support for C++XY nor compiler Foo X.Y.

7. We already make periodic tested source releases and on-demand tested
snapshot releases. Either available as full release archives or through git
cloning (although the cloning takes a bit more effort)

8. The only relevant issues when it comes to any particular support are, as
far as Boost is concerned: library design, author effort, testing resources.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything