Subject: Re: [boost] Let's stop distributing binaries
From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-08-30 05:27:02

On Thu, 30 Aug 2018 at 05:41, Tom Kent via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> TL;DR - We need to provide an easier way to get windows/visual studio users
> up and running with boost than building with b2. I love boost and want to
> make it as easy as possible for others to use.

Microsoft did that for you, vcpkg, 1 week after the release of Boost-1.68
it was made available (upgrading from 1.67).

> vcpkg upgrade --no-dry-run

Two cups of coffee and some fakebook surfing later, done.

I'm not saying or implying that there are or will be no teething problems,
but it's much simpler to solve them there (in vcpkg) then to come up with
yet another homebrew solution. A move by Boost to CMake is 100% in line
with how ms/vcpkg sees its future, but the current situation (b2) doesn't
seem to be an issue either.

degski
PS: just for fun, and to show how well vcpkg actually already works, there
was a bug in the icu build (and some other minor thiings), so when I just
now issued the above command (while writing this), 8 boost modules needed
rebuilding, because of that/those, and so they were (it works, cannot say
it any other way).

--
*“If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein*
*“No, it isn’t truth. Truth isn’t truth" - Rudolph W. L. Giuliani*