Subject: Re: [boost] [range] #11202: boost.sort header conflicts with boost.range header
From: Gareth.Sylvester-Bradley_at_[hidden]
Date: 2018-09-03 09:43:24

On 3 September 2018 10:22, Andrey Semashev via Boost wrote:
> On 09/03/18 11:42, Gareth Sylvester-Bradley via Boost wrote:

> >> I was just suggesting a change in the namespace name to something else.
> >> It can still be called the sort library, even if the namespace is not
> >> boost::sort.
> >
> > Would it be appropriate to adopt the strategy of Boost.Tuple, whose namespace is boost::tuples, and use boost::sorts as the
> > library namespace?
> >
> > The naming consistency guidelines say:
> >
> > * The library's primary namespace (in parent ::boost) is given that same name, except when there's a component with that
> > name (e.g., boost::tuple), in which case the namespace name is pluralized. For example, ::boost::filesystem.
> >
> > That's maybe not quite the case here, but it's not horrible!
>
> I'm not a native speaker, but I don't think "sort", in the meaning the
> library puts in it, has a plural form as it is a verb. "Sorting" might
> be an alternative.

Native speakers are not always the best people to make these decisions, as they're more like to use idioms or obscure language. :-)

However, https://www.google.com/search?q=sort+meaning gives me:

    Sort, noun
    2. [Computing] "the arrangement of data in a prescribed sequence."

as well as the verb, "arrange systematically in groups; separate according to type."

But boost::sorting works too!