Subject: Re: [boost] Fwd: Installing CMake configuration files
From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-10-20 20:00:16

Steven Watanabe wrote:

> If we're going to have to modify everything anyway, we might as well give
> up on making the changes incremental.

I don't consider all modifications equally disqualifying. Adding

    project : requirements <library>/boost/headers ;

to all test Jamfiles is indeed a global change, but it's mechanistic and
does not require any further maintenance, so it's not going to be a burden
for the maintainer of the library.

Adding a build/Jamfile with the dependencies, on the other hand, both
requires getting the dependencies correct and keeping them correct, so it
does impose an additional responsibility on the maintainer. (It also may
have packaging implications downstream... and if we don't magically solve
cycles, those are going to be a problem too.)

The idea of being "incremental" is to allow those maintainers who would like
to accept the additional responsibility to be able to do so, and to allow
those who would rather not, to, well, not. This is not invalidated by our
adding a line to their Jamfiles - once, without them needing to do anything
about it.