Subject: Re: [boost] The future and present of Boost
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-10-22 11:20:30

On 10/22/18 11:53 AM, Mike Dev via Boost wrote:
> [...]

Existing practice is important for standardization. Generally, being
part of a well-known and widely adopted project like Boost offers more
opportunity for adoption to a new library than it being separate.

> Also, considering that the "actual" ranges library depends on
> concepts, I don't see how that work could have been done as part of a
> boost library which is commonly expected to work with a wide variety of
> compilers / compiler versions.

This is not quite true, in general. IIRC, when Hana was accepted, it was
working only on some bleeding edge versions of gcc or clang, which were
not even shipped in any distros at the time. Of course, Boost libraries
strive for portability, but at the same time they are allowed to require
a certain minimum C++ version. This is a per-library balance.