Subject: Re: [boost] [histogram] Finalising version for submission
From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-10-22 16:05:47

Hans Dembinski wrote:

> The switch from C++11 to C++14 would help me to make the library
> implementation simpler, it does not affect the user side. I originally
> chose C++11 to support older compilers, accepting the increased code
> complexity as a trade-off. But writing out-of-place structs in the detail
> namespace to emulate `if constexpr` is not really nice and now that I want
> to make the library even more flexible, I need to do something like `if
> constexpr` even more often. With C++14 I can at least emulate `if
> constexpr` with in-place lambdas, which makes the implementation more
> readable and compact.

As I said, it's not a problem if the review manager and the reviewers do not
object.

> I don't see myself "baiting and switching". I am implementing features
> that were requested during the review.

The reference to bait and switch was a general response about the procedure
and the claim that the author - in general - can do whatever he likes. It
wasn't about this specific case, and I in no way imply that you are
employing bait and switch of any kind.

In this specific case, if you're going to transition to C++14 anyway, it
would even be better for your users if your first release is C++14.