Subject: Re: [boost] Library devs only: Boost v2.x distro design questions
From: Hans Dembinski (hans.dembinski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-10-25 08:21:43

> On 24. Oct 2018, at 21:12, Niall Douglas via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> Splitting this off from the other thread, can I get feedback from Boost
> library maintainers ONLY. Not users, not non-maintainers.

Since boost.histogram was accepted (conditionally)….

> Q0: Are you willing to do the work to adapt your library for any Boost
> v2.x distro if it were to happen?

Yes.

> Q1: Would you prefer a new, separate Boost v2.x distro in parallel to
> the v1.x distro, or to keep everything within one v1.x distro?

I didn't follow the discussion enough to understand the question.

> Q2: Would you be intending to keep your library inside Boost v1.x, move
> it exclusively to Boost v2.x, or have it exist in both Boost v1.x and
> v2.x but with different defaults configured? Also, would the version in
> v1.x be hard forked from any v2.x edition i.e. the v1.x edition would
> get orphaned?

There should be only one official version of the library, so Boost v2.x exclusive.

> Q3: What C++ standard should Boost v2.x's master build system be
> defaulted to? C++ 11, 14, 17 or 20?

C++14.

> Q4: Should Boost v2.x use a boost2 namespace, or namespace boost {
> inline namespace v2 { }}? (This affects whether Boost v2 and v1 editions
> of your library can be used within the same translation unit)

inline namespace.

> Q5: What master buildsystem should Boost v2.x use? Boost.Build, cmake,
> Build2, something else?

cmake.

> Q6: Should Boost v2.x's libraries auto integrate individually into some
> package manager? If so, which ones do you intend to support?

Yes.

> Q7: Should Boost v2.x have official release versions done by release
> managers, or should it be a rolling release of "whatever last passed the
> CI @ 100%"? Note that you can have this, and have official release
> versions of "especially known good" editions too.

Rolling releases.

> Q8: Should Boost v2.x use a local HTML server to serve documentation,
> and the static HTML docs be dispensed with as a requirement?

No preference.

> Q9: What are your feelings towards the use of Python to script
> infrastructure and tooling in any Boost v2.x? For example, Python to run
> a local HTML server to serve documentation locally, or Python to build a
> release etc

Python is awesome and becoming the de-facto default scripting language. More Python please.

> Q10: What parts of core Boost are you utterly dependent upon, and would
> absolutely need ported to any Boost v2.x as no STL alternatives exist?

core, callable_traits, multiprecision

PS: Excellent comments by Vinnie and follow-up by Edward. Lol.