From: Gavin Lambert (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-09-24 07:51:48

On 24/09/2019 17:43, JH wrote:
> Did you refer to use
> boost::asio::ip::tcp::endpoint(boost::asio::ip::address::from_string(wifi_ip_address),
> portNumber)?

Yes. With socket.bind().

> I think you were talking about server side of default 0.0.0.0, it was
> my fault not being clear. Anyway, can it be done to bind client side
> interface IP address such as WiFi IP address? Is it possible to
> specify local IP address in boost::asio::ip::tcp::resolver::query
> query(remoteServerIpAddress, portNumber) ?

No, you need to call bind in the client prior to using the socket for
anything.

Normally you don't call bind on the client side because you want the
default of any address and any port, but if you want a specific address
(or specific port) then you have to call it.

(This is why you always see it called on the server side too, since you
want a specific port there.)

You can pass 0 for the port number if you want it to be automatically
chosen as usual; it's rare (and generally not recommended, although
needed in a few cases) for the client to request a specific port number.