From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-11-25 16:27:53

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 8:12 AM Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> the task force interested in discovering a fundamental design.

I think there has been ample time for "discovering a fundamental
design," since hasn't been a JSON library proposed to Boost for over
10 years. The premise of my library is simple:

    "No single JSON design can address all use-cases in terms of both
functionality and performance,"

Therefore what I have done in Boost.JSON is to address a specific
use-case and optimize it for that case. In particular my library is
fantastic for network programs which prefer to interact with JSON
through a DOM (the boost::json::value type) to leverage the benefits
of ad-hoc prototyping.

Perhaps there is a "fundamental design" remaining to be discovered,
which is easy to use and does everything my library does, and also
everything else (such as going directly to and from user-defined
types), and also achieves the same level of performance. But I have
not seen it, and from my early prototyping experiments I suspect that
the goals conflict with each other and such a design is not possible,
except for the trivial solution of having what is really two (or more)
libraries in one. If there is evidence of this fundamental design
please bring it to the list's attention.

Thanks