From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-01-29 16:18:45

Hi Vinnie,

Vinnie Falco wrote:
> Is there any interest in a URL library for Boost?
> <https://github.com/vinniefalco/url>

Have you considered to what extent its interface could
look like std::filesystem::path ?

Back in about 2005 I wrote a URI parser using Spirit, mainly
as an exercise to learn about Spirit's new features. The code
was compact and directly corresponded to the BNF in the spec.
Run-time performance was good though compilation times were
slow and error messages were horrible. The main problem I
faced was that the BNF in the spec was wrong! The RFC had
to be read alongside an obscure "errata" webpage
(https://skrb.org/ietf/http_errata.html) that I didn't
discover for ages. Anyway, I've had a look at your parser
and... well it's about five times as much code and much
further removed from the BNF.

Regards, Phil.