From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-02-06 22:57:15

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020, 23:28 Janek Kozicki, <janek.listy.mailowe_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Mateusz Loskot via Boost said: (by the date of Wed, 5 Feb 2020
> 00:49:45 +0100)
>
> > https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2020/02/248147.php
> > As a result of that consensus, I have just removed the FFT from
> > suggestions of the GSoC projects.
>
> FFT was added to that list due to feature requests to boost.math, see:
> https://github.com/boostorg/math/issues/303

I should have said, I removed FFT from items of Image Processing project of
GIL.

I agree that writing FFT which supports all multiprecision types is a
> tremendous task. But if it's not in GSoC it has a really hard chance
> of being completed, ever. So maybe the right approach is to split this
> task into several smaller sub-tasks?

That's generally a recommend approach for any GSoC project, especially if a
student tends to be overzealous :)

Maybe first make a GSoC project for 1D FFT which works with math and
> all multiprecision and has speed comparable with libfftw when using
> double type (and is correctly templatized and designed, etc ;)

Maybe. If there's a mentor with minimum experience of FFT implementation(s)
under her sleeve, and a student...
I expect the design part will be a challenge, esp. for someone new to GIL.

Mateusz Loskot, mateusz_at_[hidden]
(Sent from mobile, may suffer from top-posting)