From: Janson R. (mlists.aerostun_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-03-06 16:15:38

First of all, thanks for the feedback

On 06/03/2020 15:32, degski via Boost wrote:

> Why not use lzma(2)? (wasn't there already (wrapped) support for this in
> Boost?) If you need just in-memory on the fly (de-)compression, for
> streaming f.e.: lz4 is in **very** active development. R-y-o seems like a
> waste of dev-time, but it will keep you of the street.

The point is to facilitate the use of all the formats which use Deflate
such as ZIP, PNG, or PDF, for pure C++ projects and the Boost
environment. As for current wrapped support, there is in
Boost.Iostreams, but if I read the docs correctly it does not support
raw Deflate (RFC1951) which is problematic for formats or protocols
which rely on it directly, such as WebSockets' per-message Deflate, or
decompressing compressed data from a Microsoft HTTP server (which are
non-compliant and use RFC1951 instead of RFC1950). Furthermore, it
doesn't allow much room for customization of the engine parameters (no
predefined dictionary for example).

Janson