From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-03-06 14:32:18

On Fri, 6 Mar 2020 at 05:51, Janson R. via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have recently been working on a C++ compression library very similar
> to zlib after trying to implement some HTTP compression support over
> Boost.Beast and realizing after some discussion with sir Falco that
> while it would be a nice builtin feature for Beast, it would possibly be
> a better idea to have zlib-like compression be a separate library in
> order to be properly maintainable and likely more useful.

Why not use lzma(2)? (wasn't there already (wrapped) support for this in
Boost?) If you need just in-memory on the fly (de-)compression, for
streaming f.e.: lz4 is in **very** active development. R-y-o seems like a
waste of dev-time, but it will keep you of the street.

It is the wrong direction for Boost to start offering all those (basic)
things next to the 'real thing', on Windows this won't be an enormous
problem as the fact that it comes in the (Boost) package possibly outweighs
the possible resistance for adoption, on linux (and BSD and probably OSX),
however, by-passing the normal (distro-supplied) packages used for these
purposes increases complexity as opposed to reducing it. Additionally,
there are a lot, really a lot, of devs/users that have their eye on the
ball, a known bug won't last long and we don't need to wait for Boost to go
through another release-cycle. The latter is not helpful either, because
corporates will not move immediately to this new release, so it will take
even longer.

degski

--
@systemdeg
"We value your privacy, click here!" Sod off! - degski