From: Ruben Perez (rubenperez038_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-04-03 18:08:41

Hi all,

I would like to re-take the discussion line about the MySQL library against
the support-all-SQL library approach. As you all know, the current
MySQL-Asio library only supports MySQL, following the approach of "doing a
single thing and doing it right". As I already mentioned, I see this as a
building block that a higher-level library can use, or as a directly usable
library if you just need MySQL.

However, I know some of you were concerned about the potential difficulty
in integrating different libraries like MySQL-Asio, in terms of complexity
and efficiency. I have been looking into another SQL database protocol
(concretely PostgreSQL, as it's the one I know the most after MySQL). In
this mail I want to compare the two protocols from a high level
perspective, and focus on the possible trouble that a higher-level SQL
library could encounter when integrating MySQL-Asio with its equivalent for
PostgreSQL (please note that the library for PostgreSQL does NOT exist yet).

- Both protocols start with a handshake. Most of the handshake parameters
(credentials, schema to use...) are common, but some may be
database-specific (e.g. collation to use for MySQL). I don't see much
problem creating a wrapper with the minimum set of parameters for all
backends in the higher-level library.
- Both protocols support a "query single" operation, where a SQL text
string is sent to the server and a resultset is sent back (more on
resultsets later).
- Both protocols support prepared statements, where you send a statement to
be prepared, as a text string, and something representing the prepared
statement is returned. This prepared statement may then be executed as many
times as required, returning a resultset each time. For PostgreSQL, the
execution model is more granular than in MySQL (i.e. in MySQL there would
be a single execute() call, in PostgreSQL there would be a bind(), an
execute() and a sync(), the result of these three being a resultset). The
higher-level library expose the minimum subset of steps. Again, I think it
can be done without too many problems.
- When a resultset is returned, both protocols send each individual row in
a separate message. This is something I use in MySQL-Asio to allow
single-row retrieval and could be implemented for PostgreSQL similarly.
- When a resultset is returned, both protocols return some metadata
describing the columns the resultset is made of. This is a little bit more
heterogeneous, but there is common stuff (field name, field type...).
Again, I see feasible that a high-level library exposes the common subset
of metadata.
- In MySQL-Asio, values are represented as a variant of all the types
supported by the database. MySQL-Asio exposes all types supported by MySQL.
Some of them are SQL standard and other are extensions. I guess the
higher-level library should only expose the SQL standard types, and thus a
mapping is required here. MySQL-Asio tries to make things as efficient as
possible and avoids copying as much as possible. All used types are either
ints/floats, datetimes (from the date library and chrono), or
string_view's. Concretely, strings are not copied, but the original message
is kept alive instead. With all this, I think a reasonably efficient
mapping could be implemented by a higher-level library.

I hope this analysis may help convince those of you still in doubt. Any
thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Regards,
Ruben.