From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-06-25 12:07:04

Giovanni Mascellani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Il 18/06/20 20:21, Phil Endecott via Boost ha scritto:
>> See another thread for the copyright discussion. Basically,
>> if I understand correctly, Zach's code includes tables that are
>> derived from Unicode data and the licence for that data requires
>> a copyright attribution. The Boost licence does not require
>> attribution and I support that. So if I've understood the
>> situation correctly - and I am not a lawyer! - this means that
>> sadly Boost must REJECT the affected code.
>
> Are these tables the same that are embedded in Boost.Spirit headers? I
> am referring to files in
> libs/spirit/include/boost/spirit/home/support/char_encoding/unicode. If
> those files are problematic, then probably something should be done
> about Boost.Spirit as well.

Well spotted. See also:

https://github.com/boostorg/spirit/blob/develop/workbench/unicode/DerivedCoreProperties.txt

That starts:

# DerivedCoreProperties-5.2.0.txt
# Date: 2009-08-26, 00:45:22 GMT [MD]
#
# Unicode Character Database
# Copyright (c) 1991-2009 Unicode, Inc.
# For terms of use, see http://www.unicode.org/terms_of_use.html
# For documentation, see http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr44/

# It is ok to redistribute this file "solely for informational
# purposes in the creation of products supporting the Unicode Standard".
# We don't nee to add a Boost License to this file: boostinspect:nolicense.

Note that I don't know who wrote that, nor where the "solely for
informational purposes..." quote comes from. And what are
"informational purposes" anyway? - it doesn't sound to me as
if that were written by a lawyer.

This really needs an expert to look at it, IMO.

Regards, Phil.