From: Richard Hodges (hodges.r_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-07-02 16:11:37

Copied here as I incorrectly replied direct.

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 17:39, Mathias Gaunard <mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 16:21, Richard Hodges via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > At the present time, Chris is working to finalise some significant
> changes
> > to Asio. These changes have required some refactoring of Boost.Beast at
> > short notice in order to continue to provide a functioning library.
>
> I don't think those changes should be rushed.
> If Boost.Asio is causing breakage across other Boost libraries, then
> the best thing to do is to delay the Boost.Asio changes.

Users of existing (1.73) Asio can avoid breakage with asio-only programs by
not defining the macro BOOST_ASIO_NO_DEPRECATED

> Also if Boost.Beast is broken, there are chances other users outside
> of Boost will be broken as well, so maybe something to consider?

In Beast we make a point of ensuring that Beast will function when
BOOST_ASIO_NO_DEPRECATED is defined so as not to unnecessarily restrict
user's code.
Furthermore this time around we are faced with a new macro
BOOST_BEAST_NO_TS_EXECUTORS, which completely removes the executors that
were introduced as recently as Boost 1.70.
Again, we feel obligated to ensure that user code compiles and functions
correctly if this macro is defined.

This is only my second Boost release, but I am given to understand that
last-minute rewrites of Asio are not unusual. Chris has been as helpful as
the 12-hour time-zone difference has allowed. We have been feeding back
test results and receiving updates for the past week.

I have no doubt that he will prevail, at least insofar as fixing the one
last minor bug that is blocking us in the c++20 build.

Once again, thanks for everyone's patience.

"I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue"
*- Airplane!*

--
Richard Hodges
hodges.r_at_[hidden]