From: Rainer Deyke (rdeyke_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-09-16 07:31:58

On 15.09.20 16:45, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
> Rainer Deyke wrote:
>
>> I vote to CONDITIONALLY ACCEPT Boost.JSON, conditional on the
>> inclusion of code for parsing and serializing boost::json::value as CBOR.
>
> I find this condition is too strict. You basically say that you'd rather
> not see the proposed Boost.JSON enter Boost until CBOR is implemented,
> which may happen six months from now. So people who don't have a need
> for CBOR will have to wait until Boost 1.77, which doesn't really help
> anyone.

Actually I would like to see Boost.JSON in Boost, with or without CBOR.
However, I can't in good conscience vote to accept a library that I am
unwilling to use. Boost should not be a graveyard of well-designed but
unused libraries.

As I explained in my review, if my condition is not met, I would like my
vote to be counted as ABSTAIN, not REJECT. I am hoping that Boost.JSON
will get enough votes to accept to make it into Boost, with or without
CBOR support.

> I can understand requiring a firm commitment on the part of the authors
> to add CBOR support, but postponing the acceptance until this is
> implemented...

If such a commitment is made, I would also consider my condition for
acceptance met.

--
Rainer Deyke (rainerd_at_[hidden])