From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-12-02 10:18:41

On 12/2/20 12:43 AM, Antony Polukhin via Boost wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2020, 00:23 Glen Fernandes <glen.fernandes_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 4:16 PM Antony Polukhin.
>>>
>>> Wich brings me to a less radical idea: we may simplify acceptance of
>> dependenceless library clones. Next step would be to provide predefined
>> bcp'ed subsets of libraries (boost 17, boost 23?)
>>
>> One option is for that other library (DLL for C++17+) to still live
>> under the boostorg/dll repository - i.e. it doesn't need to have its
>> own repository.
>>

> You mean folder structure like
> include/boost/dll/
> include/boost/dll17/
>
> Would the bcp treat dependencies of include/boost/dll17 separately from
> include/boost/dll?

AFAIR, bcp operates on file level, so yes, it should be able to select
individual headers used by some root source file, regardless of git
submodules.

If we're talking about dependency report and similar tools, it operates
on git submodule level, and therefore will treat boost/dll and
boost/dll17 as a single submodule with its common set of dependencies.
For example, depinst.py used in CI will pull all dependencies of the
submodule.