From: Rainer Deyke (rdeyke_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-03-08 08:38:44

On 27.02.21 23:53, Richard Hodges via Boost wrote:
> Please provide in your review information you think is valuable to
> understand your choice to ACCEPT or REJECT including Describe as a
> Boost library. Please be explicit about your decision (ACCEPT or REJECT).

I vote to ACCEPT Boost.Describe. Although the library has some
weaknesses (which have already come up in the review process), I do not
consider them serious enough to delay the acceptance of Boost.Describe.
  Boost.Describe in its present form already passes the "would I use it"
test.

> Some other questions you might want to consider answering:
>
> - What is your evaluation of the design?

It's a good minimalistic building blocks for higher level abstractions.

The lack of a way to add annotations to described members is
problematic. Normally, types in C++ can be externally annotated by
defining a traits class template, but this is not really an option for
the Di types returned by Boost.Describe, since they have no public names.

The library adds functions to user-defined namespaces, which introduces
the possibility of name collisions. For example, BOOST_DESCRIBE_ENUM
adds a function called _enum_descriptor_fn. A better name for this
function would be _boost_describe_enum_descriptor_fn, which
significantly reduces the chance of a name collision.

Good.

> - What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library?

Very useful.

> - Did you try to use the library? With which compiler(s)? Did you
> have any problems?

No.

> - How much effort did you put into your evaluation? A glance? A quick
> reading? In-depth study?

A few hours.

> - Are you knowledgeable about the problem domain?

Yes.

--
Rainer Deyke (rainerd_at_[hidden])