From: Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira (vini.ipsmaker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-03-10 19:16:47

Em qua., 10 de mar. de 2021 às 14:01, Sanyam Bhaskar via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> escreveu:
> Hey! This is Sanyam Bhaskar.

Hi Sanyam,

> I read over the default Ideas provided to us and XML Parser really caught
> my eye.

glad to know. I'm the potential mentor for this project.

> Also, as per my understanding, XML is relatively outdated , when compared
> to data languages like JSON. So in addition to this being an XML Parser, I
> think adding a JSON parser alongside it would boost the library’s utility
> in the modern day industry.

We held a review for a JSON library not long ago and the library got
accepted, so we already have a JSON (push) parser. I still see room
for a JSON pull parser, but I'd not be willing to spearhead this
effort, so unless someone else shows up to mentor it I don't think
we'd have such a project.

XML is an old, overengineered and hated format (and rightfully so),
but industry adoption basically forces us to use it for
interoperability with a few services to this day. So that's the value
for XML here, interoperability with legacy software. It's not a value
to be neglected.

I also think it'd be a good project for first-time students as the
basics of the format are really well-known and I believe in my skills
to gradually point the student to its quirks as the project advances.

> I Would appreciate it if someone could tell me how to get started and some
> feedback on the suggestion. Looking forward to contributing to the project.

I wrote some of the ideas that you saw in the wiki page for Boost
GSoC. I didn't know which projects would attract students, so I didn't
invest a lot of time detailing each individual project (my bad).

The programming competency test was to write a CSV parser. However you
can negotiate to write a parser for a different format if you think
it'd be more interesting to showcase your C++ skills (please choose a
simple one-afternoon-to-implement format and negotiate the alternative
target beforehand). Once you're done, send the code directly to me
(don't post it publicly) and I'll be making requests to change one
stuff here and there to see how well you manage to change the code as
well as other comments.

On top of that, you'll need to write a proposal to be submitted
through Google platform during the student application period (March
29 - April 13). If you want, you can send your proposal here (this
time you must not send it to me in private, but must post it publicly
on the list) and ask for feedback if you want. If you don't need early
feedback on your proposal, you can also decide to not post it here at
all but otherwise only send it through Google platform (then your
proposal will only be available to Boost GSoC team). I can't suggest
specific strategies, but I advise you should strive to make a good
impression. Early feedback obviously will give you "extra" time to
improve your proposal. Do keep in mind that sending your proposal to
this list is not an official submission. You always must send a final
proposal through Google platform during the student application
period.

Google will eventually announce how many student slots Boost is given
and the accepted students will be announced on May 17.

--
Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
https://vinipsmaker.github.io/