From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-03-22 15:43:47

Edward Diener wrote:
> My first reaction, after quickly looking at the submission, is what does this
> library offer that the original lambda library, which appears to have a much
> larger amount of functionality than this lambda2 library, not offer ? Also there
> is the Phoenix library, which also offers an even greater amount of function
> object and lambda-like functionality, of which the review manager is the main
> author I believe.

Purely from a user perspective, what this library offers is being a lightweight,
single header dependency, and...

> Is it basically so that the programmer can easily interface with
> the std::bind/std::function classes with the lambda2 placeholders, whereas the
> C++03 libraries don't have this possibility wit their placeholders ?

... indeed, a way to port boost::bind code that uses its operators to std::bind,
something that comes up from time to time as projects are modernized.

>From a different perspective, another goal of the submission is to gather
experience and provide a tested and widely available implementation for an
eventual proposal to add this functionality to the standard. (Better late than
never.)