From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-01-09 19:48:44

On 1/7/24 8:48 AM, Glen Fernandes via Boost wrote:
> Rather than emails and Slack DMs, I would prefer we have this discussion
> on the mailing list.
> > It is correct that JFrog does not charge us yet but our traffic has
> increased from 60TB/month to almost 200TB/month which is no longer
> supportable for free. We have limited time to find a solution.

Perhaps it's time to "get serious" about Boost "Modularization".
Basically this would mean that users download just the libraries (and
their dependencies) they actually intend to use. Of course this would
be a big project. But we've been working hard to try to move in this
direction. I would envision:

a) user interested in boost download and locally test Boost "core"
b) for each library that a users is immediately interested in:
  downloads, builds and tests the library (and it's dependencies)
c) as time moves on, users could update, replace, or delete their set of
libraries.

This would in practice eliminate the concept of Boost version 1.84
etc... and replace with Boost Serialization library version 1, ...
Boost would migrate from being a single/monolithic library to a group of
libraries with some explicit dependencies (on other boost librarys,
standard library or ?).

The fact that we can't do so now is a symptom that our development
practices need work.

Robert Ramey