From: Alexander Grund (alexander.grund_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-04-29 10:26:04

>> One reason against autolink: It decides the use of static vs dynamic libraries
>> depending on a preprocessor define, good luck getting that right in a portable
>> way...
> The preprocessor define is necessary for things to work, so autolink is correct
> to decide based on it.
I am aware of that, I consider that define basically part of the
autolink feature.
Point is: Somewhere that define needs to be set. And in a generic or
semi-automated environment it might be hard to be correct and could make
accidental mixing of shared and static libs easier which poses a
potential pitfall with non-trivial consequences (e.g. ODR violations
with surprising behavior)