From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-07-17 20:38:58

On Wed, Jul 17, 2024 at 12:42 PM Robert Ramey via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> FWIW - I much prefer the current logo which was developed by community
> inclusive process with many submissions and designs.

Thanks. Upon reviewing my initial post I think I could have communicated
more clearly. Will everyone please vote on one of the following two options:

1. Boost adopts the proposed new logo with Alliance as custodian of the
trademark

2. No change

> Also FWIW - when an organization starts messing with it's logo, I take
> it as a sign that they are stuck and don't know what else to do.

I agree that gratuitous changes in trade dress presage a decline in
quality. However, that is not what is happening here. The current situation
is that Boost has a roughly 15-year old logo which has no trademark and
does not evoke Boost qualities of technical excellence and innovation.

For example, a thought experiment. Ask C++ users who are not on the mailing
list or contributors to Boost if they recognize this image:

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/847509124312989696/vv1ev8i__400x400.jpg

It is also true that aesthetics are subjective. However, all else being
equal, it is more likely that someone will associate the word "Boost" with
a logo that looks like the letter "B", than they will associate it with a
logo consisting of three partially overlapping hexagons.

Adopting a logo is a necessary but insufficient condition to establish a
brand. One must also use the image mark often and and consistent with the
project's values for the public to associate the image with the project.
This is explained in greater detail here:

https://www.boost.io/doc/contributor-guide/docs/logo-policy-media-guide.html#_trademark_policy

One might rightly ask, "why not just start using the old mark often and
consistently?" This is better than what we are doing now (which is nothing)
but suffers from the problem that the old mark is associated with old
things which represent stagnation. A new mark, with accompanying guidance
on usage, transmits needed momentum to our Boost renaissance by informing
the public that things are now changing for the better.

Thanks