From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-09-06 17:35:17

On 9/6/24 20:11, Christian Mazakas via Boost wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 6, 2024 at 9:42 AM Andrey Semashev via Boost <
> boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> If CoC and inclusivity is what matters most to those who you refer to as
>> "youth" then I would prefer those people to be *not* part of Boost. Let
>> them convene in their SJW parties somewhere else, please.
>
> You say that but no offense, this isn't about what you think. This is about
> what other people think.
>
> And a good amount of the young developers I chat with on various discords
> say that an open-source project having a CoC is a determining factor if
> they're going to invest into making a contribution.

And I respect their decision not to contribute on the basis of a missing
CoC. Should they decide not to contribute, that is fine and a good
thing, IMO.

> You have to understand that contributors invest their own time into a
> project and to Sankel's point, we should want volunteer contributions in
> addition to paid ones.

Absolutely. But I'm only interested in contributions based on their
usefulness and technical quality, which must be reviewed and discussed,
sometimes in a less than gentle and favorable way. If a person is
seeking to make his contribution only to increase some sort of
representation or raise his self esteem and recognition and expects to
be praised for the mere fact of contribution, I'm sorry, but I'm not
interested and in fact opposed to such a contribution. If that is your
goal, or you are not able to deal with technical criticism, then please
take your energy and effort elsewhere.

> Some day, the old guard will come to pass and who will be left standing? If
> the youth say that a CoC is important then it's important.

Then let them create a different project that is not Boost, with CoC and
what not. Competition is good, right?

> All we have to do is take our existing tacit Boost etiquette and put it
> into a written document called code-of-conduct.txt.

No, I'm opposed. CoC is a bad idea, it has only created problems and
political infight in projects that adopted it. We have lived quite fine
without one so far, and I don't see why we would need one now. Again, if
anyone feels uncomfortable or insecure without a CoC then please choose
a different project to contribute.