Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] How to solve systems of linear equations?
From: Thomas Klimpel (Thomas.Klimpel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-11 09:32:00

Rui Maciel wrote:
> I've explored your suggestion and I've stumbled on the Template
> Numerical
> Toolkit[¹], which is pointed out in lapack's site[2] that it is
> intended to
> supersede it. TNT's documentation isn't particularly good but, when
> compared
> to boost::ublas' documentation, it is exemplary. It looks very
> promising.
>
> I'm currently exploring the idea of getting rid of boost::ublas and
> porting my
> code to TNT but before that I need to run some tests.

What has "boost::ublas" done to you that you compare it with TNT? (What I hate most about TNT is the choice between a really old stable version 1.26 and an old beta version 3.0.12. If they would at least manage to release a stable 3.0 version.) There are many libraries like "boost::ublas" out there:

glas
MTL4
eigen2
NT2 (I think Joel Falcou has worked on an overhauled version with a new name)
FLENS

and many other (so add blitz++, MTL2, TNT, lapack++, ?, ?? and ??? to the list if you like).

I have evaluated some of these at some point in time, and may have more opinions about them than I want to share with you. However, I fail to see the merit of TNT over any of these, including "boost::ublas". There was a really "huge" table in an older version of the documentation for "glas" with many, many numerical libraries and some of the features they supported at that point in time. It was probably a wise decision to remove this table from the documentation, since it would have been an impossible task to keep it up to date.

Regards,
Thomas