Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] Bindings: second C linkage of overloaded function 'cbdsqr_'
From: George Slavov (gpslavov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-11 12:57:59

On 4/11/2011 12:46 PM, Rutger ter Borg wrote:
> On 2011-04-11 18:02, George Slavov wrote:
>> On 4/11/2011 10:09 AM, George Slavov wrote:
>>> This might have to do with BOOST_NUMERIC_BINDINGS_LAPACK_CLAPACK not
>>> disabling non-CLAPACK includes (and implicitly enabling the Fortran
>>> include machinery). Please try to include the specific lapack header
>>> (bindings//lapack//{computational,driver,...}/....hpp).
>>>
>>> Does that help?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Rutger
>>>

>> Thanks for your reply.
>>
>> I was afraid to try to include separate .hpp files lest I end up missing
>> some important headers, but now that it was suggested, I decided to try
>> it. At the moment I only need
>> <boost/numeric/bindings/lapack/driver/ppsv.hpp>, so I included it and
>> got the same errors. Then I realized that this header does not check
>> whether I want CLAPACK or LAPACK,
>
> ... just to make sure we're talking about the same here: we are using
> the term CLAPACK for this stuff:
>
> http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/psdoc/lapackqref.ps
>
> which are a couple of subroutines of LAPACK that are provided by
> ATLAS. To use LAPACK with the bindings, you don't need the
> netlib-provided clapack, you can use the Fortran libs directly.
>
> HtH,
> Cheers,
>
> Rutger

> Sent to: gpslavov_at_[hidden]
I guess we aren't talking about the same thing, but I've got to tell
you... I'm not surprised. The landscape of BLAS is incredibly
frustrating and oftentimes I can't make head or tail of instructions.

I was under the impression that using the Fortran libraries on Windows
is a major pain because of the unavailability of Fortran compilers for
Windows that are free and interoperate with Visual Studio well. As a
result, the solution is to use a C implementation of BLAS such as
gotoblas, which I compiled to a .lib. Now I just want to be able to use
that library with ublas. I thought that was accomplished by defining the
CLAPACK variable and then using the headers clapack.h and f2c.h which
are provided here
http://icl.cs.utk.edu/lapack-for-windows/clapack/index.html.

If you have the patience for it, I would appreciate it if you could
explain to me what ATLAS and LAPACK really are in relation to gotoblas
because now I'm completely confused.

Best,
George Slavov