Boost logo

Boost Interest :

From: Mike Jackson (mike.jackson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-06 15:48:48

On Aug 6, 2008, at 3:43 PM, Doug Gregor wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Mike Jackson <mike.jackson_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>> On Aug 6, 2008, at 3:29 PM, troy d. straszheim wrote:
>>
>>> Anyhow, you might be more interested in the new installer stuff
>>> Doug has been putting together:
>>>
>>> http://www.osl.iu.edu/~dgregor/Boost-CMake/
>>>
>>> A test run and report back would be appreciated, I'm sure. Hope
>>> to hear
>>> back from you,
>>
>> I took a look at the web site and there seems to be a 30K OS X
>> installer..
>> which I am guessing does NOT have everything that is needed.
>> Looking into
>> the "1.36.0" directory there are lots and lots of downloads..
>> which I am not
>> really prepared to start clicking like made.
>
> The 30K OS X installer is for Leopard or newer; it downloads the Boost
> libraries you request on-the-fly, as part of installation. I can build
> a monolithic installer as well (which will work on Tiger and newer).
>
>> I know this is a work in progress so I am assuming the installer
>> packages
>> for OS X are just still being worked on?
>
> They're in pretty good shape, I think, although we can certainly clean
> up the presentation somewhat.
>
>> Also, do you need a tester for OS X? I am running 10.4.11 Intel
>> and would be
>> happy to try and setup some sort of script to download and test
>> regularly.
>
> I'll have to leave the testing question to Troy, who is our testing
> guru. If you'd like to test out a binary installer for 10.4 (Tiger),
> I'd be happy to go build one for you.
>
> - Doug

You can build one or I can build one. I have a few projects that use
filesystem, threads, test and program options so it would be a nice
test to see if your installer works for me on my system.

Really I just need a static-multi-threaded build with debug and
release. Again. I can pull from SVN and try myself if that would be
better.

One note on the Leopard installer. I frequently do work behind
firewalls that will not let these types of installers work** so there
probably should be the option for a monolithic installer for OS X
Tiger and above.

** - I have yet to come across an installer that actually worked from
behind the types of firewalls that I work. Just FYI and Food for
thought.

Great work on this package BTW.

--
Mike Jackson   Senior Research Engineer