Boost logo

Boost Interest :

From: Matthias Schabel (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-06 15:45:14

On Aug 6, 2008, at 1:31 PM, Doug Gregor wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 3:29 PM, troy d. straszheim <troy_at_[hidden]
> > wrote:
>> Matthias Schabel wrote:
>>>
>>> After experiencing non-stop frustration with building boost 1.36
>>> on OS X
>>> with bjam/boost.build, I was excited to discover that there has been
>>> significant work on porting to CMake. A couple of questions:
>>>
>>> 1) where are the most current CMake build files located?
>>
>> $SVN/branches/CMake/release. I'm not sure how long it has
>> been since a merge was done from the main branches/release.
>>
>>> 2) are build options for static vs. dynamic and single vs. multi-
>>> threaded
>>> implemented?
>>
>> Yeah, see
>>
>> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/CMake
>>
>>> 3) can we build Universal binaries?
>>> 4) can we build an OSX Framework?
>>
>> I believe cmake supports all this. It shouldn't be terribly
>> difficult,
>> of course you don't know until you try... :)
>
> CMake can build Universal binaries. Just set the CMake variable
> CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES to a semicolon-separated list of architectures
> (e.g., i386;ppc).
>
> We don't currently support building Boost as an OSX framework. That
> would be a *great* way for Boost to be built and distributed on Mac OS
> X, but we haven't tried doing so yet.

I would love to help make this happen - the current bjam/Boost.Build
system for OSX
seems to be getting crappier and harder to make work rather than
better and easier.
Obviously, the natural way to distribute Boost on OSX is as a single
Universal Framework.
I'm no expert in the area, but would be willing to expend some effort
on this, especially
if there is some support on the CMake side...

Matthias