Boost logo

Boost Interest :

Subject: Re: [Boost-cmake] Configuration for sonames for the boost dynamic libraries on Unix
From: Sean Chittenden (sean_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-28 15:39:59

> For sure it is. Debian is my primary platform and I'd like this to
> be seamless. I've pondered support for multiple simultaneous
> installations, possibly with a layout like this:

Because of the trickery of the loader using unresolved symlinks (for
non-statically linked apps, but who does that with boost?), please
don't do something convenient like:

/usr
   local
     lib
       boost-1.40.0
       boost-1.41.0
       boost -> boost-1.41.0

Lazy developers will use boost and not boost-1.40.0 and suddenly
things will break in strange, hard to figure out ways.

Also, my bias would be to not clutter up /usr or /usr/local with a
boost dir but to stash it in /usr/local/include/boost* (recursive grep
FTW).

> Other things to think about: pkg-config, and maybe the installation
> of cmake files in /usr/share/boost that makes it easy to detect/use
> the installation.... comments?

Avoid pkg-config, it's very Linux and drags in a ton of dependencies
(most of the time, never required, but that's the way it goes with
everyone's packaging system of choice). A cmake variable would be
preferred, imo (similar to the cmake boost version foo). -sc

--
Sean Chittenden
sean_at_[hidden]