Re: [Boost-docs] [SVG Icons] Update to the sub-project

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] [SVG Icons] Update to the sub-project
From: Peter Foley (peter_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-19 14:14:30

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the feedback.

I have already asked the Boost moderators for SVN access to the boost
sandbox. I am planning to upload the files to http://tinyurl.com/2stcuh
, John has already updated my user id so I can write to this location.
Where they go from there for use I am unsure but hopefully someone with
more experience with Quickbook/Boostbook can move them.

The delay in uploading them to the Sandbox is to do with two points
about licensing. They are:
1. Can I submit the files to the Boost Subversion repository under
a different license type to the BSL (I sent an email to the Boost
Moderators list). Yes I know people have stated previously that it is
ok ... but on this page http://tinyurl.com/2t45gz it implies that items
submitted to the subversion repository will be licensed under the BSL.
I personally don't have an issue with this, but since my work is a
derivative of the Tango project I am unable to re-license the files from
the CCSA2.5 license.

2. I have sent an email to the Tango Artist list (see attachment)
clarifying exactly what I need to include with the SVG files to ensure
that I am compatible with the license.

If anyone wants the SVG (and PNG) files prior to them going into the
Sandbox please send me a private email. I would put them up on a web
server somewhere but I don't have a web presence.

Once these two points are sorted I will post the files to the Sandbox.

Thanks,

Peter.

attached mail follows:

Hi,

I would like to clarify what exactly I need to include from a licensing
perspective to use some of the Tango icons and icons that have been
derived from Tango Icons.

For more information on the use see
http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SvgIconsSetProject on the Boost
Wiki. This URL also shows:

* Which icons are going to be used;

* The derived Black and White versions of the icons (I
apologise to the original authors; my background is not in graphic
design).

(Note: Currently the PNG links for the Tango icons are not working as
the web server hosting http://tango.freedesktop.org/ appears to be
having some issues).

Currently my thoughts on what I need to do to be compatible with the
License type is to include a file located with the SVG files within the
Boost Subversion repository specifically to cover licensing. This file
(LICENSE.txt) will include:

1. An acknowledgement section stating that the original icons
were sourced from the Tango Desktop Project (with a URL link to the home
page);

2. A license section stating that the SVG files are licensed
under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike 2.5 license. With a
URL to the official license site
(http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/).

Will this be sufficient or do I need to also include the Tango AUTHORS
file with the icons?

Any advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter.