Re: [Boost-docs] Consistent look-and-feel for non-generated web pages?

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] Consistent look-and-feel for non-generated web pages?
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-24 14:40:20

Matias Capeletto wrote:
> On 8/24/07, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> How should a Boost web page author create a consistent look-and-feel for
>> non-generated web pages?
>
>> For 1.35.0 I'm planning to do a pass through a bunch of traditional
>> Boost web pages, mostly those in boost-root/more, to update content as
>> needed. I'd also like to give the pages the modern Boost look-and-feel,
>> navigation, etc. I want to continue to use a WYSIWYG HTML editor. Ditto
>> for some of the library documentation I maintain.
>
> This is great Beman, but I do not understand why we should stick to
> HTML. Why not to use Quickbook that is easy to hack and maintain?

The problem is one of my personal productivity. I normally use an
WYSIWYG HTML editor, and am always appalled by how much is slows me down
and increases mistakes when I have to use a non-WYSIWYG tool. I've been
doing some trac editing the last couple of days, so the pain is fresh in
my mind.

> I would understand it if you do not have the time to learn it, that is
> ok.

Everyone wants me to learn a new and different markup language. Each of
my clients. The Boost trac markup. Quickbook. At least with Quickbook
the final results look very good, but as far as I'm concerned markup
languages are implementation details that should never have to be
learned by those who create and maintain the documents.

> But now we are a lot of devels here and there will be surely
> someone willing to translate this documents to Quickbook. Believe me
> that you will be able to find your way and modify them later,
> Quickbook sources are very clear and simple.

I'm sure you are right, but why should I care? Why are the sources ever
exposed? It's like 1967 all over again.

> If you allow us, we will be happy to add this as a subproject of IBD.

I appreciate the offer, but am just looking for style sheets and
guidelines to ensure Boost web pages look relatively consistent, until
such time as a Quickbook WYSIWYG editor becomes available.

Thanks,

--Beman