Re: [Boost-docs] Quickbook document author Unicode a accent R&#xE5 isnot converted.

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] Quickbook document author Unicode a accent R&#xE5 isnot converted.
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-26 11:06:43

-----Original Message-----
From: boost-docs-bounces_at_[hidden]
[mailto:boost-docs-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Daniel James
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 9:36 PM
To: Discussion of Boost Documentation
Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] Quickbook document author Unicode a accent R&#xE5
isnot converted.

On 24 August 2010 20:53, Daniel James <dnljms_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I've just checked in support for escapes in trunk. It's a bit rushed
> though. Can now write 'Johan R\u00E5de'.

Thanks.

I had a look at some of the quickbook in the repository, and found that
files written for early versions of quickbook almost always has some raw
boostbook in the documentation info, so I've put a version switch in for
versions before 1.3 (chosen because that's when quickbook started to parse
'license' and 'purpose' as a quickbook phrase, which ended that practice).
But if people prefer, I can change it so that the switch is for version 1.6
(the future version of quickbook), and the behaviour will be the same as
quickbook 1.5.1 (from boost 1.43). Let me know what you want, it's a simple
change (now).

I have no strong views on this - apart from an opinion that docs that are
still using 1.3 are almost certainly in need of revision, and while
revision/update is being done, it isn't a big chore to ensure that 'meta'
info like this is up to date, and that the latest version is being used.
Maintenance is pretty poor if this doesn't happen.

While you are considering this, I would very much like to have a extra slot
for ISBN. As well as appearing on the front page, this could be appended to
the bottom of each page in a tiny font. Given a little time, I could even
produce some C++ code to check the ISBN provided is valid. (There might be
other items of 'meta data' that would be useful too?)

Paul

Paul A. Bristow,
Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal LA8 8AB UK
+44 1539 561830 07714330204