Re: [Boost-docs] Boost-wide concept docs

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] Boost-wide concept docs
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-03 16:52:46

On 2/3/2011 2:24 AM, Eric Niebler wrote:
> (cc'ing boost-docs)
>
> On 2/3/2011 10:23 AM, Cromwell Enage wrote:
>>> I have read the docs for boost::result_of but I do not see
>>> anything there about the PolymorphicFunctionObject concept
>>> there. Where in the Boost documentation is the explanation
>>> for this concept ?
>>
>> I remember reading about this concept here:
>>
>> <http://www.boost.org/libs/fusion/doc/html/fusion/functional/concepts/poly.html>
>
> Yeah, Proto defines a similar concept. It highlights the need to have
> one place where the Boost-wide concepts are defined, and an easy way to
> link to them.

Agreed. Even more so it argues a common format to define a concept as
part of documentation. I have seen concepts mentioned in documentation
for many Boost libraries but I never knew how to document a concept for
what I myself may be working on. Does Boost specify a preferred common
format for documenting a concept anywhere ?

> Arguably, the proper place for the definition of
> PolymorphicFunctionObject is in Boost.Result_of's docs. But if we do
> that, we have to accept the fact that when building the pdf doc of, say,
> Fusion, the links to the concept will be broken. Kinda sucky.

Can not PDF docs have links to HTML urls ? To other PDFs ?

But I still think you are right that the best place to put documentation
for concepts in Boost is in a separate place somewhere unless a library
author feels that a particular concept is only relevant to his library.