Re: [Boost-docs] std quickbook include path, and template library?

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] std quickbook include path, and template library?
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-19 08:19:28

>>> Not sure if
>>> having an option is any better though. As for a search path; we could
>>> take
>>> the BB2 approach of searching some particular _relative_ and global
>>> dirs.
>>
>> Relative to what? The executable can be anywhere. I would want this to
>> work from the command line. When using Boost.Build it's fine for us to
>> hardcode the location in the repository, but it should also work
>> independently of boost.
>
> A few options possible for relative:
>
> 1. To the exe, as you mention.
> 2. To the the invocation dir, BB does this one.
> 3. To some other searched file (relative or absolute), BB also does this.

Something like the way in which Boost.Build searches for user-config.jam
would work would it not?

Start with some common global location, for the sake of argument:

$HOME/quickbook (%HOME%/quickbook on Windows).
$QUICKBOOK/

Then also when invoked from Boost.Build, somewhere in the Boost tree (this
is the most useful option for Boost development), so maybe:

tools/quickbook/include

The only issue I see is if someone want to use the "std" templates in
tools/quickbook/include, but isn't using Boost.Build. I don't see why we
can't have an install rule to take care of moving those files to the global
location if you do a quickbook install though? Maybe make the rule
explicit, so it's only done if the user asks for it?

Cheers, John.