Re: [Boost-docs] std quickbook include path, and template library?

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] std quickbook include path, and template library?
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-19 17:32:15

On 19 June 2011 09:19, John Maddock <boost.regex_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Something like the way in which Boost.Build searches for user-config.jam
> would work would it not?

That's better suited for configuration files I think. A configuration
file might be useful for quickbook - I think it would be preferable to
using an environment variable on windows.

> Start with some common global location, for the sake of argument:
>
> $HOME/quickbook  (%HOME%/quickbook on Windows).

That would litter the home directory and isn't where anyone would
expect to find it. We probably should try to follow established
conventions where it's possible. Which probably means something along
the lines of:

$prefix/bin/quickbook (executable, .exe on windows)
$prefix/share/quickbook/include/1.5/auto_index.qbk

> The only issue I see is if someone want to use the "std" templates in
> tools/quickbook/include, but isn't using Boost.Build.  I don't see why we
> can't have an install rule to take care of moving those files to the global
> location if you do a quickbook install though?  Maybe make the rule
> explicit, so it's only done if the user asks for it?

That's why I said I think this requires installation. We should have
to make the global location customizable, probably with a --prefix
flag. Also leads to possible issues with running as root.