Re: [Boost-docs] The beauty of LATEX

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] The beauty of LATEX
From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-24 13:29:19

On 10/24/2011 6:46 PM, Matias Capeletto wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Joel de Guzman
> <joel_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> The wiki-style markup can be a front-end that generates pure
>> templates. Another front-end can process program code and syntax
>> coloration and also outputs pure template code. So we have,
>> for example:
>>
>> wiki-recognizer > code-extractor > template-engine > backend
>>
>> This modularization makes it more powerful and highly customizable
>> and of course reusable.
>
> I really like this idea, this will free templates hands of all the
> discussions related to the block or paragraph problem.

You mean phrase and block, right?

> What I do not
> fully understand is how will the wiki-wiki paragraph detection
> mechanism will work.
> If we have:
>
> This is a paragraph.
>
> [custom_bold This is a paragraph]
>
> [custom_template_for_inserting_image This is not]
>
> [custom_section_start The same here]
>
> How will you differentiate the second one from the last two?

With the current wiki-wiki paragraph detection you can't.
Currently, paragraphs are detected when you have two or
more newlines. All those above will be in its own paragraph.
You can only do it by avoiding the double-newlines, e.g.:

(indenting for clarity):

  [custom_bold This is a paragraph]
  [/ no double-newline here]
  [custom_template_for_inserting_image This is not]

  [custom_section_start The same here]

That's inherent in wiki style paragraphs. If that is not desirable,
we can always have explicit markups for paragraphs, like:

  [para So bye-bye, miss american pie. Drove my chevy to
  the levee, But the levee was dry. And them good old boys

  [custom_template_for_inserting_image whiskey image]

  were drinkin’ whiskey and rye Singin’, "this’ll be the
  day that I die. "this’ll be the day that I die."]

Here, within the template markup, the wiki paragraph detection
should *not* kick in. It is important that inside template markups,
spaces are coalesced. I think I made that clear in the template
language I sent around:

  http://pastebin.com/FBdpSsS8

Regards,

--