Re: [Boost-gil] Preferred line length

Subject: Re: [Boost-gil] Preferred line length
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-04-11 20:05:28

On 04/11/18 15:51, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can we try to settle the preferred line length in GIL source code?
>
> Current style varies from file to file, even from chunk to chunk
> within a single file. Often, there are unindented lines,
> overdose of whitespaces, etc.

I agree this can be annoying, so it might be useful to use some
established conventions.
Both of the issues you name (max line length and amount of indentation)
are related and important to settle.
But, while we should really agree on indentation (this can be easily
configured in nowadays editors), I'm less sure about hard limits for
line length, given that there is a tradeoff to optimize for code
readability.

Do you have suggestions for these parameters ? (For indentation I'd vote
for 2 spaces (replace all tabs by spaces !), for max line length I can
be easily convinced to settle on anything between 78 and 90 characters.)

> I know this may not be the right moment to attempt style refactoring,
> but I think it would be nice to have at least some style reference
> that will hold in future.

Right. I think it would be useful to establish a convention, then we can
make sure that any code we touch to fix bugs or add features adheres to
them. No global restyling required.

Best,

--
Stefan