From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-05-12 17:47:56

On Tue, 12 May 2020 at 15:05, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I'd consider:
> - introduce Boost.Histogram as a temporary requirement.
> - use it as a container to output/transfer histograms from/in GIL.
>
> Based on such experience, I think, it will be easier to observe GIL specific
> requirements for histogram container(s) and how to shape a more generic
> interface of functions operating on histogram. We may decide a standard
> container of numbers or tuples is enough or we need a basic histogram
> class, etc.

One more note related to OpenCV which outputs histogram into
N-dimensional structure (Mat, SparseMat, OutputArray).

It is useful to calculate multi-dimensional histograms (e.g. hue-saturation).
I imagine GIL should also allow that too, but OpenCV interface could be better.
Is multi-dimensional histogram the most common, primary use case?
Is histogram of grey levels the most common use case?

If I want a histogram of grey levels, I should not be forced to deal with
any multi-dimensional structure, any matrix.
I should be able to get a histogram in as simple form as
std::array<int, 256> or std::vector<int> or similar,
that is objects with minimal necessary interfaces
and optimal memory management
without unrelated 2-dimensional bloat.

p.s. Debabrata, I'm posting this also to let you test the mailing list,
hopefully you will be able to respond to this.

Best regards,

Boost list run by Boost-Gil-Owners