Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Misha Bergal (mbergal_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-11 03:40:24

Rene Rivera <grafik.list_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Aleksey Gurtovoy wrote:
>> Rene Rivera writes:
>
>> Does what? Uploads logs to server? It's a one-liner.
>
> And for the next feature.. another one-liner, and another.
>
>>>So there's no point in continuing to "extend" regression.py if we
>>>can just switch to an already proven equivalent.
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> To switch, you have to transfer all the logic of 'regression.py' to
>> BuiltBot server side.
>
> Some of it. Parts of it have better equivalents in BuildBot. And other
> parts are the same logic I, and others, use in our test scripts (not
> regression.py).
>
>> Then everybody needs to switch to the new test
>> running infrastructure.
>
> Yes. Incrementally.
>
>> The cost of implementing the whole thing is
>> significantly higher, although it's definitely more exciting to work
>> on than fixing the mundane problems of the existing tools.
>
> I _am_ fixing an existing tool, regression.py, collect_and_upload.py,
> run_tests.sh, run_tests.bat. And yes, I'm also fixing other tools,
> like BBv1, just not as visibly.
>
> And it has nothing to do with excitement. This is something I have a
> personal need to do, i.e. I need for my business. I can't use
> regression.py for my needs. So I chose to do some extra work, above
> *my* requirements so that it could be used by Boost. on your machine.

Make it a problem on _your_ machine :-). Prepare tarballs on your
machine, use whatever you want to monitor that's everything is going
OK. That would be very cool. I think Aleksey would gladly accept your
help.

It would be also helpful to discuss your plans in the context of
1.33.0 release. What are testing prioritites? I am under impression
that you are saying that our main priority is to switch to BuildBot -
our priorities list is on Boost.Wiki (http://tinyurl.com/5mk7l).

If you don't agre with stuff on this list or there is not much you can
do about it, it would be a good idea to start with BuildBotting the
tarball and XSLT reports, I think that would help us tremendously.

--
Misha Bergal
MetaCommunications Engineering

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com