Boost logo

Boost Testing :

From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-21 22:04:09

"D. Kevin McGrath" <dmcgrath_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> I'm trying to get this running on the sparc platform (solaris 10),
> but it's slow going so far. If anyone wants to take this off my
> hands, feel free to do so. I've got the the compiler and the OS up
> and running, but am having problems getting a usable python install,
> which I believe is required for the regression tests, no?
>
> The system I'll be running on is an older Ultra5 system, with the
> goal of running regressions once a day. I'll post an update if/when
> I get them running.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't have access to the other platforms (linux x86/
> x64, solaris x86/x64).
>
> If I do get this up and running, what exactly would be required of
> me? If you can lay out the responsibilities, that would be greatly
> appreciated.

The reason I brought it up was that it seems there is a disconnect between
the OSL4 tests, which have many, many failures, and the assertions of folks
at Sun that they do a pretty good job of compiling Boost code.

I'm reluctant to ask Doug Gregor (listed as the OSL4 tester) to dig into
this because he has put in so much work recently on Boost release management
that I hate to ask him for more effort. Doug has also done a dynamite job
recently of hacking GCC to handle the Indiana C++ Concepts proposal,
allowing the C++ committee to try out a complex language addition before it
goes in the standard. He needs a break:-)

So what I was hoping for was a volunteer to start testing the actual Sun
latest release compiler, just like any other compiler. Fix any problems
detected with the Boost toolset, report any problems with the compiler
itself to Sun (ask me privately for the email address to do this), pester
Boost developers to fix any problematic Boost code, and generally keep an
eye on the tests until they settle down.

I'm not a Sun user myself, but Sun is a big enough player in the computer
business that I (and others) have wanted additional Sun test coverage for a
long time now.

--Beman

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com