Boost logo

Boost Testing :

Subject: Re: [Boost-testing] Trunk testing (general) and MSVC11
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-08-23 08:04:22

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 6:05 AM, Christoph Macheiner
<christoph.macheiner_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I am trying to setup a trunk test runner for MSVC11,

Great!

> and I have a few
> issues:
>
> - The website states about 5gb of disk space, so I used a spare machine but
> ran out of disk space after 32gb used. So should that be 50gb?

Hum... Something must be burning unnecessary disk space. Do you have
an indication what is chewing up all that space?

> - How are the MSVC testers handling crashes (of which I had several during
> this first run)? By default, the JIT-debugger kicks in with a message box
> which is obviously not good for an unattended run.

http://www.computertipsfree.com/exe-has-stopped-working-how-to-disable-windows-error-report-windows-7/
 worked for me.

> - Is there something about not fixing things? Point in case: the CRC library
> has changes in crc.hpp (from last year) only in trunk that cause an obvious
> compile error on MSVC that is trivially to fix. As this header has
> dramatically changed I cannot easily create a patch, but the author could
> (by just looking at the code). How do I go about this? Shouldn't part of
> development/maintenance be to try and reduce the amount of failures?
> - 32-bit vs 64-bit. Point in case: there is a sha-1 test in UUID that is
> only failing on 64-bit. Is there a policy regarding 64-bit tests?

The best bet is to a posting to the main list. If the library
maintainer is MIA, ask for some else with commit privileges to step
in.

> - Even on a quite modern machine (quad-core processor, enough RAM),
> "performance" is rather poor. I know this is quite a general statement, but
> without further ado, did anybody look into this? The above-mentioned
> out-of-disk occured after about 7 hours, with the tests obviously still not
> finished. Point is, I can spare the night on my dev rigs, but if the tests
> take longer than say, 8 hours, I am out of luck. Especially when I want to
> test 32-bit and 64-bit.

What are the space and time resources other testers are committing? It
would be useful to know if something has gotten out of hand.

> BTW: The trunk summary on boost.org is broken ("Error extracting file: The
> end of the ZIP archive was encountered prematurely."). I have no idea if my
> unfinished test did upload something and caused this (which still wouldn't
> really be my fault anyway, just saying).

Seems to be OK now.

Cheers,

--Beman

Boost-testing list run by mbergal at meta-comm.com