From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-12-01 07:45:21

From: "John Maddock" <john_maddock_at_[hidden]>
> >I got the command line gdb to run, but what a pain. I'm researching
> >both the GUI version as well as the JIT versions available for
> >mingw. They may help out. However, the command line version just
> >stranded me with no clear idea why things were failing, so I don't
> >know if the other debuggers will be much help.
>
> If it helps, I tried debugging the thread code with the latest cygwin GUI
> debugger (which is almost usable BTW), but still couldn't figure out what
> the issue was. I also tried with vc6+pthreads-win32 and
> Borland+pthreads-win32 and both of those check out OK, in the latter case
> was able to build both boost.threads and pthreads-win32 with Borlands
> Codeguard support enabled, and there were no memory related errors, so I
> think this is something very specific to gcc.
>
> BTW I also see a page fault when building with gcc3.01 on Linux - this
time
> the fault goes away if I build in release mode, so I suspect there is an
> assertion being triggered somewhere, and it's the assertion that's dying.
> I haven't got any further than that though.

ISTR that when I tried to use boost.threads in the past on Win98, I
encountered problems with the TSS code as well - with MSVC. I didn't see the
page faults since a catch(...) handler on MSVC eats them but the results
were worse than that - the machine locked up in about half of the cases, in
the other half the thread that faulted died without warning.

I think that it's possible that the problem is not gcc-specific. Note that
both your successes use pthreads-win32, not the native win32 implementation
of Boost.Threads.

--
Peter Dimov
Multi Media Ltd.