From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-15 17:49:07

"Beman Dawes" <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> At 11:11 AM 10/15/2002, scleary_at_[hidden] wrote:
>
> >> It is the vagueness of the term "compiler support", which you did not
> >> alleviate in your answer, which I am trying to clarify.
> >
> >"Compiler support" means "anything the compiler can give us so that we
> can
> >implement that class correctly".
> >
> >It could be a specially-recognized preprocessor define, a quasi-class
> >(e.g.,
> >SGI's type traits), a pragma, a keyword, or anything else that the
> compiler
> >provides.
>
> Yes. "Compiler support" can be seen as a courtesy by library experts, so
> they aren't trying to tell core language experts exactly how to do
> something.

Shouldn't the compiler support mechanisms for the type_traits library be
documented so that users of a particular compiler can understand which
type_traits functionality works for them ? It is information that is needed
not only by other Boost developers who use type_traits in their
metaprogramming work but by users of the implementation also.