From: William E. Kempf (wekempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-19 11:01:02

Regis Desgroppes said:
> Hello,
>
> I have to use Boost with VC++5 even if it this compiler isn't supposed
> to be supported. That's because we have a quite huge software developped
> with VC++5 and we don't have enough time to re-pass the entire test book
> (several hundreds of pages with 10 pixel-sized fonts).
>
> By disabling the #error directive in the compiler configuration hpp
> file, I'm surprised to see all seem to work fine. So my 1st question is
> :
> - Why such a #error directive ?

Someone else will have to address this.

> Moreover, I have a POSIX.1c compliant threads implementation under WIN32
> (PThreads Win32 downloaded from the RedHat site) that I want to use. So
> my 2nd question is :
> - What are the right minimum set of #define's I have to put (_REENTRANT,
> _POSIX_THREADS, BOOST_DISABLE_WIN32, etc.) ?

If you are using Jam, you only have to define the variable PTW32 to be
"install-path library-name" (replacing install-path and library-name with
the proper values for your needs). If you're not using Jam, check out the
$BOOST_ROOT/libs/thread/build/threads.jam file to see how this is done in
Jam (should be easy to read and translate to however your building).

William E. Kempf