From: Markus Werle (yg-boost-users_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-08 08:56:46

gcs_99 wrote:

> Can anyone point me to directions for building boost under linux. I
> have installed bjam. When I type bjam -sTOOLS=gcc in my boost root dir
> I get tons of errors.
>
> I understand that much of boost is implemented as templates in header
> files. Is there an install script to place these in the correct
> location for gcc?

Hi Greg,

On Unices the jam stuff is rather optional.
I happily use boost just by including the headers.
For this I unpacked the sources into /opt and that's it.
In case I have to compile additional *.cpp or *.ipp files
I tell so to my own Makefile(.am), that's it.

Bjam may be completely ignored.
Since bjam is as complicated as GNU autotools there is no need
to migrate (at least _I_ do not see _any_ advantage, maybe I am blind)

OTOH "tons of errors" might be due to the gcc version
You are using. Make sure You have at least gcc-3.2.1
installed on Your system, otherwise boost really ain't no fun.
Please also avoid gcc-3.2 which has some rather hidden but
fatal bugs in it.

In general it's a good idea to upgrade gcc frequently if You are
dealing with C++. Like this You get rid of a lot of pain and stay
up to date with standard issues getting resolved (or dissolved)

If You can afford the time try out intel's C++ 7.0 on linux.
It's free on that platform and its really pedantic if You use
option -ansi. Like this the learning curve gets a little steeper.

Markus